Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Day 4 - Employment

Employment is probably not one of the first things you think about when you are contemplating Christmas, but tomorrow is Thanksgiving and this is something I am definitely thankful for.

Until I had been there myself I had no concept of the despair that comes from being unemployed.  I had frequently imagined what it might be like, but until you live it you can't fully grasp it.  Now that I have "been there, done that, got the t-shirt" I have a new found appreciation for employment.

Almost two years ago a wonderful neighbor that I have looked up to for years called and offered me a job working for one of his companies.  At the time I was catatonic with worry and didn't have a clue where I could go to find a job.  The pay wasn't spectacular but it met all of our basic needs and, more importantly, helped me feel like I was contributing once again.  I know that this kind man did not need to fill the position I took, but he knew that I needed a job - both to provide for my family and to get me back in the game of life.  During the course of my employment with him I had the opportunity to work with a very knowledgeable accountant who taught me several principles of accounting that I now use in my current job.  There were so many tender mercies extended to me during my 7 months with that company.  I will be forever grateful for my neighbor's unselfish concern for the welfare of my family and me.

A year ago this week another friend invited me to work for him.  The pay was a significant step up for me and it put into practice the training I had received over the previous 7 months at my other job.  It has also given me the opportunity to collaborate with other individuals as we have worked to build a business.  Being able to provide for my family while working in a stimulating environment has been a huge boost to my confidence.  I love my job and am grateful for my employer.

I am so grateful for my job.  I acknowledge God's hand in inspiring good men to give me a chance and allowing me to stand once again on my own two feet.  During this season of Thanksgiving I express my gratitude for God's tender mercies.  He is ever mindful of me, even when I don't always recognize it.

No comments: