Hands down, Independence Day is my favorite holiday of the year. I am inspired by the events that led to that momentous day, the courageous men and women who paid the price for us to become a nation, and the brave Americans who have fought to keep us free over the last 232 years.
My family and I have a few different traditions associated with July 4th that I love to participate in. (Some of it drives my kids nuts, but I hope they will appreciate it as they get older)
- We get matching flag shirts to wear throughout the day
- We listen to patriotic music all day long
- We read the Declaration of Independence out loud
- We put a larger than normal flag on our flag pole out front
- I buy a new flag to fly on the flagpole until my birthday the following year.
- We go to our ward's Independence Day breakfast
- I put up my historic flag collection for display at the Ward Breakfast
- We go to watch fireworks at Mesa Community College (which we will change this year since I no longer work in the area)
- I read books about the Founding Father's, the Revolutionary War, or famous American quotes
- We all get an overwhelming feeling of love for our country.
God Bless the USA!!!